22
Mon, May
14 New Articles

Udayagiri Fort (உதயகிரிக் கோட்டை)

Community Informations

உதயகிரிக் கோட்டை இந்தியாவின் தற்காலத் தமிழ் நாடு மாநிலத்தில் உள்ள கன்னியாகுமரி மாவட்டத்தில் உள்ளது. இது நாகர்கோயில் நகரில் இருந்து 14 கிமீ தொலைவில் அமைந்துள்ளது. தொடக்கத்தில் கி.பி 1600 களில் கட்டப்பட்டதாகக் கருதப்படும் பத்மநாபபுரத்தைத் தலைநகரமாகக் கொண்டு திருவிதாங்கூர் அரசர்கள் ஆண்ட காலத்தில் இக் கோட்டை அவர்களுக்குப் பெரிய சொத்தாக அமைந்திருந்தது. 

இந்தக் கோட்டை பின்னர் திருவிதாங்கூர் மன்னர் மார்த்தாண்ட வர்மாவால் ஆளப்பட்ட காலத்தில், இராணுவ தலைமை அதிகாரியாக பணியாற்றிய ஈஸ்டாசியஸ் டி லனோய் மேற்பார்வையில் 1741 - 44 ம் ஆண்டில் மீண்டும் கட்டப்பட்டது. 

ஆரம்ப நாட்களில் இந்த கோட்டை ராணுவ திட்டங்களுக்கு முக்கியத்துவம் தரப்பட்டது. பின்னர் திப்பு சுல்தானுக்கு எதிராக பிரசாரம் செய்தவர்களை கைது செய்து இந்தக் கோட்டையில் சிறைப்படுத்தப்பட்டனர். 1810 ம் ஆண்டு வேலு தம்பியின் தலைமையில் கார்னர் லெட்ஜர் கிழக்கு இந்திய கம்பெனியை எதிர்த்து திருவிதாங்கூர் மாநிலம் வழியாக ஊர்வலம் சென்றனர்.

90 ஏக்கர் (36 ஹெக்டேர்) பரப்பளவை உள்ளடக்கியுள்ள இக் கோட்டையுள் 200 அடி (79 மீட்டர்) உயரமுள்ள ஒரு குன்று உள்ளது. இதற்குள் துப்பாக்கிகளை வார்ப்பதற்கான வார்ப்பு உலை ஒன்றும் உண்டு.

உதயகிரிக் கோட்டையுள் காணப்படும் டி லனோயின் சமாதி.

டச்சு அட்மிரலான இயுஸ்ட்டாச்சியஸ் டி லனோய் (Eustachius De Lannoy) என்பவரது அவரது மனைவி, மகன் ஆகியோரதும் சமாதிகள் இங்கு இருக்கிறது. ஒரு கிறிஸ்தவ சிற்றாலயத்துள் உள்ளன. ஒரு காலத்தில் இக் கோட்டை இவரது பெயரைத் தழுவி தில்லானைக் கோட்டை (டி லனோய்ஸ் கோட்டை - De Lennoy's Fort) என அழைக்கப்பட்டு வந்தது.

இக்கோட்டை, திருவனந்தபுரம் - நாகர்கோயில் தேசிய நெடுஞ்சாலையில் அமைந்துள்ள புலியூர்க்குறிச்சியில் உள்ளது. பத்மநாபபுரத்தைத் தலைநகராகக் கொண்டு ஆண்ட திருவிதாங்கூர் அரசர்களின் மிக முக்கியமான படைநிலை இதுவேயாகும். இக்கோட்டை பாரிய கருங்கற்களால் ஒரு தனியான குன்றைச் சுற்றிக் கட்டப்பட்டுள்ளது.

உதயகிரிக் கோட்டை தற்போது தமிழக வனத்துறையின் கட்டுப்பாட்டில் உள்ளது. இங்கே பல்லுயிர்மப் பூங்காவில்   மான்கள், காதற்பறவைகள், கினி பன்றிகளும் இருக்கின்றன.  கினிக் கோழிகள் திறந்த வெளியில் இருக்கின்றன.  மீன் காட்சியத்தில் சில வகை மீன்கள் உள்ளன. 

சிறந்த நேரம்:

கன்னியாகுமரி மாவட்டம் வருடம் முழுவதும் ஒரு மிதமான கால நிலையை கொண்டுள்ளது. கோடை காலம் மார்ச் முதல் மே மாதம் வரை நீடிக்கின்றன. இந்தக் கோட்டை கடலின் அருகாமையில் இருப்பதால் இந்தக் காலக் கட்டத்தில் கடல் குளிரோடு மிக அருமையாக உள்ளது. இந்த நேரத்தில் வெப்பநிலை 20*C முதல் 35*C குள் இருக்கும். 

மிக அருமையான மாதங்களாக அக்டோபர் முதல் மார்ச் வரை இருக்கிறது.  கடற்கரை விளையாட்டுக்களும், உதயகிரி கோட்டையை சுற்றிலும் பார்ப்பதற்கு இனிமையாகவும் காட்சி அளிக்கிறது. அத்தோடு பர்மா பாலத்தில் நடத்தல், மரக் குடிலில் ஏறுதல் போன்றவற்றுக்குத் தனியாகக் கட்டணம் வசூலிக்கப்படுகிறது. 

உதயகிரி கோட்டை பொது விடுமுறை நாட்களைத் தவிர மற்ற நாட்களில் திறந்திருக்கும். நேரம் 9.30 AM. முதல் மாலை 5.30 PM. வரை. 

 

The fort in Tamil Nadu is located at a distance of 14 km from Nagercoil in Thuckalay Town, Kanyakumari District. The fort is situated on the Thiruvananthapuram-Nagercoil National highway at Puliyoorkurichi. This was the most important military barracks of the Travancore rulers, when Padmanabhapuram was their capital. 

At the entry of the Udayagiri Fort lies a stand which has the history of the fort engraved in a granite placard. The fort itself is built of massive granite blocks. It had been originally built in the 17th century, and then rebuilt later by Maharaja Marthanda Varma of Travancore in the 18th century.

Enclosing an area of about 90 acres (36 ha), with an isolated hill 260 feet (79 m) high, the fort contains an old foundry which was used for casting guns.

The fort was rebuilt during the reign of Marthanda Varma, Venad King, during 1741-44 under the supervision of Eustachius De Lannoy, a Flemish naval commander of the Dutch East India Company, who later served as the Chief of the Travancore Army.

In the early days, the fort was of strategic importance. Prisoners captured in the campaign against Tippu Sultan were confined in the fort for some time. In 1810, the East India Company's Army under Colonel Leger marched into the Travancore State through the Aramboly Pass to quell a rebellion under the leadership of Velu Thambi Dalava.

In the later years, the English East India Company's troops were stationed there till the middle of the 19th century. Foundry for the manufacture of guns, mortars and cannonballs were also established within the fort under the supervision of the General.

The fort is built of massive granite blocks around an isolated hillock.  It is said that this fort once contained a 16ft long cannon that took 16 elephants to move!

The tombs of the Dutch Admiral Eustachius De Lannoy, (in whose honour the fort was once called Dillanai Kottai— De Lennoy's Fort), and of his wife and son can still be found inside a partly ruined chapel in the fort.

De Lannoy's body was buried within the fort and a chapel was built at his burial site . De Lannoy's tombstone lies within the walls of the ruined chapel. The inscriptions on his stone are both in Tamil and in Latin. His wife and son were buried by his side. Recently, officials of the Department of Archaeology found an underground tunnel within the fort.

Presently, the fort has been turned into a bio-diversity park by the Tamil Nadu forest department, with sites of historical importance, such as De Lannoy's tomb, remaining as protected archaeological sites under the Archaeological Department of India.

 

Best time to visit

Kanyakumari is known for its moderate climate all through the year. The summers last from March to May and are pleasant with its proximity to the sea having a cooling effect on the atmosphere. The temperature during this time lies between 20°C and 35°C. The winters from December to February are very pleasant with temperature being constrained between of 17°C to 32°C. The climate is perfect for enjoying sightseeing and the beach activities taking place But the best season to visit Udayagiri Fort is from October to March.

The Udayagiri Fort is open on all days except public holidays. The timings of visiting the place are from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm.

 

BLOG COMMENTS POWERED BY DISQUS